Year 10 receive 4 periods of PDHPE per 2 week cycle. This is broken down as follows:
- 2 periods of Health and Personal Development (in the classroom)
- 2 periods of PE (skills/games/dance)
The PE component of the course gives the students “mini electives” where they will choose from 5 or 6 sports (depending upon how many classes are timetabled at that time) for each unit of work. This is in the form of one double period per fortnight.
Health and Personal Development
- A Beautiful Mind (mental health, resiliency)
- Philadelphia (diversity, discrimination, AIDS)
- Driver Ed (road safety, risk taking behaviours)
- Bullying and Harassment (relationships)
- Blow Up The Pokies (gambling)
- Independent Research Project (research methodology, an area of interest to the student)
Sport Opportunities for Year 10
In addition to the three carnivals per year, Year 9 compete in weekly sport on Thursday afternoon. This is broken into two groups, Grade Sport (where students will compete against teams from other schools) and Intra Sports (where they will participate in sports within the school or sports of a recreational nature).
The Sports vary seasonally, but typical sports will include:
- Grade – Basketball, Cricket, Frisbee, European Handball, Rugby League, Speedaway, Futsal, Netball, Touch, Badminton, Volleyball, Waterpolo, Table Tennis, etc.
- Intra – Badminton, Bushwalking, Dance, Ice Skating ,Basketball, Soccer, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Squash, Table Tennis, Tenpin Bowling, Tennis, Yoga, Cricket and Tae Kwon Do.
Additionally, students are eligible to compete in the CHS Knockout competition teams and individual events.