- 2 periods of Health and Personal Development (in the classroom)
- 3 periods of PE (skills/games/dance)
- 2 periods of Fitness
The actual sports covered in the PE periods will vary from class to class but will typically include Basketball, Soccer, Touch, Australian Football, Netball, Softball, Cricket, Hockey, Mini Tennis, Volleyball, Ultimate Frisbee and Golf.
Health and Personal Development
Students are issued with a custom designed workbook which they need to bring to all theory lessons. The units of work in Year 8 are:
- Bend It like Beckham (changes and challenges, connectedness)
- Cannabis – Know the Risks (drug use and abuse)
- Road Safety and Risk (road safety, risk taking behaviours)
- Sexual Health (conception, childbirth)
- Fitness and Lifestyle (balanced lifestyle, components of fitness)
- Disease (communicable and lifestyle disease)
- Dr ABC (first aid and resuscitation)
Sport Opportunities for Year 8
The primary opportunities to be involved in Sport are the Swimming, Cross Country and Athletics Carnivals. Year 8 don’t compete in regular Thursday sport (but receive more periods of PDHPE in its place). They have a Gala Day which is held during term 3. The Sports Executive (Year 12 students) regularly organize sporting competitions for Year 7 and 8 students during lunchtime. Year 8 students are eligible to compete in CHS knockout teams (but must be at an elite level to qualify).