(High Potential and Gifted Education)
- The New South Wales Department of Education aims to support every student to achieve their educational potential. High potential and gifted students may require tailored resourcing and support to cater for their learning needs. High potential students are those whose potential exceeds that of students of the same age in one or more domains: intellectual, creative, social-emotional and physical. Gifted students are those whose potential significantly exceeds that of students of the same age in one or more domains: intellectual, creative, social-emotional, and physical.
- Students who attend Cherrybrook Technology High School are provided with the opportunity to develop their talent whatever their abilities may be. The majority of classes in Stage 4 are mixed ability classes. However, one class in Year 7 and one class in Year 8 caters specifically for students who have been identified through multiple criteria as high potential or gifted in a range of domains. These classes provide a range of enrichment and extension activities designed to deepen students’ knowledge, understanding and skills. These activities are evaluated each year and may change depending on the needs of the students.
- Information regarding the outstanding performance of CTHS students in the HSC can be found in the Annual School Reports.
High Potential and Gifted Education (HPGE) at CTHS
The process to enrol at Cherrybrook Technology High School for Year 7 begins in March of the previous year ie. when students are in Year 6.
- An Expression of Interest for Placement in Year 7 is completed by parents/carers and reviewed by the Cherrybrook Technology High School Enrolment Committee.
- By the end of May, successful and unsuccessful applicants are notified and ONLY successful applicants are provided with an application to sit an entrance examination for placement in the Year 7 HPGE class.
- This examination is held at the school during August of the year prior to students starting in Year 7.
- Only students who have been notified that their Expression of Interest for Placement at CTHS in Year 7 was successful are eligible to sit this examination.
- Multiple criteria are used to determine the class and to ensure the selection process is fair and reliable.
- There is no examination held for the entry to the Year 8 HPGE class. Selection for this class is based on the academic performance of students during Year 7.